SGEU Long Term Disability Plan
The SGEU Long Term Disability Plan is one of the best plans in Saskatchewan. Disability benefits are 80% of net pre-disability salary and are non-taxable. The SGEU LTD Plan is owned and operated by the SGEU membership and managed by a committee of elected SGEU members.
SGEU members have access to two levels of appeal if their claim is declined or otherwise terminated. Once on LTD, they have access to a Claimant Advocate who provides guidance and assistance in navigating the Plan. In-house vocational rehabilitation counseling is also available.
SGEU bargaining units vote to join the Plan as a group. To find out if your bargaining unit belongs to the SGEU LTD Plan, or to find out how to join, contact Shane Osberg, Director, Disability Management Services, at extension 204, 306-522-8571 in Regina or toll-free at 1-800-667-5221.
LTD Plan Guide
The LTD Plan Guide contains information on eligibility for benefits, who to contact for help, steps to follow if you are injured, a summary of benefits and entitlements, answers to frequently asked questions and more.
LTD Plan Text
The LTD Plan Text is the overall governing document for the SGEU Long Term Disability Plan. The 'Plan Text' sets out the rules governing the plan including; member priemiums, rights and responsibilities of all parties, terms of membership in the plan and more...
The 'Plan Text' is ammended and approved each year at the SGEU Annual Convention.
Previous Years LTD Plan Text
- LTD Plan - Text 2018
- LTD Plan - Text 2017
- LTD Paln - Text 2016
- LTD Plan - Text 2015
- LTD Plan - Text 2014
- LTD Plan - Text 2013
- LTD Plan - Text 2012
- LTD Plan - Text 2011
- LTD Plan - Text 2010
- LTD Plan - Text 2009
- LTD Plan - Text 2007
- LTD Plan - Text 2006
- LTD Plan - Text 2005
- LTD Plan - Text 2004
Applying for LTD
If you become injured or develop an illness that completely prevents you from working:
- Do not resign from your job.
If you resign:
- Your job will no longer be held for you;
- Your employer has no further obligation to you;
- SGEU has no further obligation to you;
- The SGEU Long Term Disability Plan has no further obligation to you; and
- All entitlements, including pension contributions, will cease at the time of your resignation.
- Obtain a medical certificate for your employer to support your inability to work.
- Use all sick leave credits that you are entitled to access.
- Apply for a definite leave of absence through your employer and ask the employer what documentation may be required for this to be approved.
- Complete and submit the application for Long Term Disability and include any relevant medical documentation to support your claim. Sometimes medical professionals do not submit medical information in a timely manner, so keep checking with them to ensure it is done. The application must be received by the Long Term Disability Plan no later than 1 year from the date of your disability.
- You may be asked to apply for Canada Pension Plan Disability benefits if you suffer from a severe and prolonged disability. Also, entitlements may be available for your children who are under 18 years of age.
- If your injury is work-related, you must apply for Workers’ Compensation benefits.
- If you are injured in an automobile accident, you should apply for SGI benefits.
If you no longer have sick leave credits available, you should apply for Employment Insurance Sick Leave Benefits (not regular EI benefits).
Contact SGEU’s LTD Plan office in Regina if you have any questions.
Complete LTD Application Kit
- Staff Roles to Claimant
- Check-off List
- Information letter to Member
- Claim for Long Term Disability Benefits
- Physician's Initial Report Form
- Job Demands Form
- Electronic Funds Transfer Form
- Release of Information 1 - Insurance
- Release of Information 2 - Representative
- Release of Information 3 - Physician
- Release of Information 4.1 - PEPP Pension
- Release of Information 4.2 - MEPP Pension
- Release of Information 4.3 - SHEPP Pension
- Release of Information 5 - Workers' Compensation
- Release of Information 6 - Advocate
- Release of Information 7 - Employment Information
- Release of Information 8 - SGI
- Release of Information 9 - Electronic Consent
- LTD Dues Rebate at Retirement Form
- Associate Member Registration Form - Please contact the LTD benefits clerk @ 306.775.7209
How to Join the SGEU LTD Plan
SGEU bargaining units vote to join the Plan as a group. To find out if your bargaining unit belongs to the SGEU LTD Plan, or to find out how to join, contact: