With guaranteed acceptance and no waiting period, you can count on the SGEU Retiree Health Plan to protect your health.
Congratulations on your retirement! With the SGEU Retiree Health Plan, you can maintain your health insurance coverage when you retire. Instead of worrying about insurance, you can focus on embracing lake life, tackling those DIY projects, and dreaming about your next trip to somewhere sunny!
About the Plan
SGEU has partnered with Saskatchewan Blue Cross to offer a comprehensive, affordable health insurance plan to retiring SGEU members.
The SGEU Retiree Health Plan is a guaranteed plan.* When you apply within 60 days of your retirement date, you won’t have to complete a medical questionnaire!
Your SGEU Retiree Health Plan features more than 20 health benefits, including:
- Ambulance services
- Dental (basic and major)
- Eye exams and glasses/contact lenses
- Health practitioners, including massage therapists, chiropractors, physiotherapists, and more
- Hearing aids
- Hospital accommodation
- Prescription drugs
- Travel benefits
To see a full list of benefits, including the amount of coverage for each, download the Retiree Health Plan brochure (updated April 25, 2023).
View the Retiree Health Plan Rates (effective May 1, 2022).
*Guaranteed Coverage: As an SGEU member, you’re eligible to convert your insurance coverage to the SGEU Retiree Health Plan with no medical questionnaire required when you apply within 60 days of retiring.
Applying for the SGEU Retiree Health Plan
- SGEU members can apply with no medical questionnaire required. Applications must be submitted within 60 days of your retirement date.
- Retired more than 60 days ago? You can apply for the plan at any time. Your application will require you to complete a medical questionnaire.
- You are eligible for coverage if you are over age 55 and have been validated as by SGEU as a member.
- If you were an SGEU staff member who retired after January 1, 2022, you are eligible for coverage.
Members are encouraged to apply for the Saskatchewan Senior’s Drug Plan, which may help to reduce the cost of your prescription drugs.
How to apply
Complete the SGEU Retiree Health Plan Enrolment Form and submit using one of the following methods:
- Mail to: Saskatchewan Blue Cross, PO Box 4030, Saskatoon, SK S7K 3T2
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need to update your information for the SGEU Retiree Health Plan in the future, please complete the employee change form.
Questions and more information
For more details about the SGEU Retiree Health Plan, please contact the Saskatchewan Blue Cross Member Experience Centre at 1 (800) 667-6853 (toll-free) or through their online Contact Us form.
Did you know.... that the provincial government Saskatchewan has a program to help make prescription drug costs lower for seniors in Saskatchewan?
Through the Seniors’ Drug Plan, eligible seniors 65 years and older pay a set fee for prescription drugs listed on the Saskatchewan Formulary or approved under Exception Drug Status. Eligibility is determined by age and the income reported on income tax returns filed with the Canada Revenue Agency.
If you would like to learn more about this plan, visit the Seniors’ Drug Plan webpage. This page covers who is eligible, how to apply and includes a helpful question and answer document.