Our Mission and Vision
The Membership, Constitution and Legislation Committee deals with all questions related to the SGEU Constitution, provides an annual report to the SGEU Convention with a full accounting of decisions and transactions under its authority while maintaining confidentiality, and considers matter of legislation as brought forward by the membership.
The Membership, Constitution and Legislation Committee shall*:
- Ensure the sector/local bylaws and bargaining unit guidelines, or proposed amendments as set out in Articles 5.1.5, 7.3 and 7.4 of the SGEU Constitution do not contravene this Constitution.
- The bylaws of every sector/local and guidelines of the bargaining unit shall be subject to the approval of the Membership, Constitution and Legislation Committee.
- Consider such matters of legislation as referred by the membership.
- Deal with all questions relating to this Constitution.
- Deal with matters related to sectors/locals, their establishment, organization and function.
- Advise the chair, secretary of each sector/local annually following Convention, any amendments that affect bylaws and bargaining guidelines.
- Deal with internal disputes, complaints about elected officials or members within the union dealing with specific union matters, as well as alleged violations under the Constitution, Code of Ethics, Policy Manual, Statement of Equality, bylaws and bargaining guidelines of the union.
- The annual report of the Membership, Constitution and Legislation Committee to the annual Convention shall contain a full accounting of all decisions and transcations under its authority while maintaining the commitment to confidentiality.
*As outlined in the Article 6.10.12 in the SGEU Constitution
Sharon Friess, Retail & Regulatory, Chair
Mac Trost, Public Service
Deron Staffen, Crown
Mona Laurans, Health
Marney Robinson, Education
Whitney Kujansuu, Community Service
Kim Picot, HR/E
Joanna Woode, Community Service