Applying for Long Term Disability Benefits -- Steps at a Glance
If you become hurt or sick;
- Do not resign from your job
If you resign:
- Your job is no longer held for you;
- Your employer has no further obligation to you;
- SGEU has no further obligation to you;
- SGEU Long Term Disability Plan has no further obligation to you;
- All entitlements, including pension contribution, will cease at the time of your resignation.
- Get a medical certificate for your employer
- Use sick credits that you are entitled to
- Apply for a definite leave of absence
- Apply for Canada Pension Plan disability benefits. As a contributor to Canada Pension Plan, you may qualify for a pension if you suffer from a severe and prolonged disability. Entitlements may also be available for your dependent children. Once you have been disabled, contact your local Service Canada office for the forms to apply for this benefit. You must apply for this coverage.
- Apply for Workers’ Compensation disability benefits, if your injury is work related. If you are injured at work, you must apply for this coverage.
- Apply for Employment Insurance Sick Leave Benefits.
- Apply for Motor Vehicle Insurance benefits, if you are injured in an automobile accident.
- Ensure that your medical evidence is submitted to the Plan as soon as possible. Sometimes medical professionals do not submit medical information in a timely manner, so keep checking with them to ensure it is done.
- Call SGEU’s LTD Plan office in Regina if you have any questions.